Aviationweb déjà vu                       Luchtvaart déjà vu aeroplanes photo gallery

Dornier 328
D-CTOB TF-CSB
Fairchild-Dornier 328jet
I-ACLG OY-NCO

Bücker Bü.131A Jungmann

D-EJMI G-BUVN
 
OO-OLE  

SIAI-Marchetti FN-333 Riviera

 
SE-CWN  
S.M.A.N. Petrel
 
PH-2T2  
D-CIDO Dornier Do-24ATT Latina c/n 5345 - Iren Dornier - Naval Air Station Nordholz in Germany - 17 August 2013 more at Naval Air Station Nordholz

The three-engined Dornier Do 24ATT (former designation Do 24 TT) is a experimental amphibian testbed based on the Dornier Do-24 and developed to test to test the high seas capability of an amphibious, economical aircraft. In fact, this amphibian aircraft is a rebuild from the 1944-built former Spanish Do-24T-3 flying boat (c/n 5345, fuselage only). In June 1944, Spain acquired twelve Dornier Do 24T-3s from Germany, including Do-24T-3 c/n 5345. These twelve machines were used exclusively to equip an air-sea squadron based at Pollensa for air / sea rescue of any crews, Allied or Axis, forces down in the Mediterranean. Dornier Do-24T-3 c/n 5345 entered service in Spain as 65-12 "Virgen del Rosario". In 1946, registration of the Dornier Do-24T-3 changed to HR.5-12 (51-12). In 1947, the Spanish S.A.R. organisation was set up, and the elderly Do-24T-3s, which had been retired due to lack of spares, were put back into active service. On 22 December 1953, with the introduction of the modern Grumman SA-16A Albatros, that joined the Do-24T-3s in service, the registration of the flying boat was changed to DO-24T3-12. On 1 April 1965, the registration of the Dornier changed to HD.5-4 (56-4). In 1970, the Dornier Do-24T-3 was withdrawn from service with the 804a Escuadrilla de Salvamento (804 Rescue Squadron) at Puerto Pollensa, Majorca, and in 1971 the aircraft was bought by Dornier for use as testbed for a tri-turboprop amphibian project, and flown to Friedrichshafen. In 1973, Dornier annouced details about the new plane, designated Do-24/72, primarily intended for search and rescue operations in rough seas, but cargo and passenger versions are possible. The company hoped to sell 150 to 200 of the craft at a price of approximately $3 million a piece. In 1974, the project has been restarted with Spanish (C.A.S.A.) participation in the development and the airplane would be produced as a joint venture between Dornier and Construcciones Aeronáuticas SA (CASA). The Spanish Defense Ministry would like to buy 30 of the craft, and the maiden flight was tentatively scheduled for 1975. However, despite all efforts, the Do 24/72 project never got of the ground. But in 1979, Dornier finally started the rebuild of the airframe and the aircraft was equipped with Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-45 turboprop engines; newly developed trapeze-shaped wings as used by the Dornier Do-228, as well as a retractable landing gear landing gear, using the Do 31 main landing gear, which makes it an amphibian technology bearer (Amphibischer Technologie Träger ATT). In March 1983, permit to fly was issued as D-CATD and the Do-24ATT flew first on 25 April 1983. The aircraft flew missions like high sea trials up to sea state 4 in 1984. As the Luftfahrtbundesambt (German Federal Aviation Authority) had approved a flight time of only 150 flight hours because of the age of the fuselage, Dornier had to ground the aircraft after that. The aircraft went to the Deutschen Museum in Schleißheim and registration D-CATD was cancelled in 1994. After years on display in the museum, Iren Dornier, grandson of Claude Dornier, purchased the aircraft and the aircraft was transported by road and boat to the Philippines in 2003. In the Philippines the aircraft was retrofitted and restored for the second time in good working condition. It also underwent a series of rigorous test flights both on land and water and received its airworthiness from the Philippine Aviation Authority and was registered RP-C2403 with South East Asian Airlines (SEAIR) in 2004. In April 2004, Do-24ATT RP-C2403 took off from Manila on a 8,5 months worldtrip in support of UNICEF. Captain Dornier and his crew have flown the seaplane to more than 30 countries around the world, including Cambodia, Thailand, India, the United Arab Emirates, Germany, France, Iceland, Canada, and the United States. Since early 2006, the Do 24ATT was touring Europe and was stationed during that time the former Dornier factory airfield in Oberpfaffenhofen near Munich. After registration RP-C2403 was cancelled, the aircraft was grounded and stored at Oberpfaffenhofen. On 20 October 2011, permit to fly as D-CIDO was issued and the Do-24ATT flew first as D-CIDO on 18 November 2011. Today, the Dornier Do-24ATT has its home at the Dornier Museum at Friedrichshafen Airport.

The history of the Dornier Do-24 goes back to 1934. In that year, the Dutch government was looking for a replacement of the outdated, twin-engined Dornier Do-J 'Wal' flying-boats of the 'twenties' in service with the MLD - Royal Netherlands Naval Air Service for use in Dutch East Indies. In 1934, Fokker, Sikorsky and Dornier came with a design for a new flying boat suitable for use in the Dutch East Indies, the Indonesian archipelago. In 1935, this led to a further coordonation with Dr. Clause Dornier as the designs of Sikorsky and Fokker dropped out for various reasons. The result was the Dornier Do-24 and two prototypes were ordered.  Dornier started with the construction of the prototypes Do-24V1 and Do-24V2, powered by three Junkers Jumo 205 engines. As in 1936, the Dutch Government wanted the Wright R-1820-F52 Cyclone radial engine for the flying boat, first the prototype Do-24V3, powered by three Wright Cyclone R-1820-F52 radial engines was completed. The maiden flight of the first Do-24, was done by the Do-24V3, on 3 July 1937. The Do-24V1 did not fly until 10 January 1938, this aircraft being powered by three 600 h.p. Junkers Jumo 205C diesel engines. Sea trials followed and within months the Do-24 went into production. At the end of 1937, the first Dornier Do-24, the Do-24V3 D-ADLP was delivered to the Dutch Navy and registered X-1. The following aircraft was prototype Do-24V4 that got serial X-2. even aircraft were known as Do-24K-1 and built by Aero-Metall, Friedrichshafen. The Dutch Navy initially took delivery of 36 units of the equipment after which a new model, the Do 24T, with improved 1,000HP Bramo engines went into production. The Dornier Do-24 remained in service into the 1970s with the Spanish sea rescue wing. Over the years, about 280 Dornier Do-24s were built by Dornier and Aero-Metall, AG and under license by Aviolanda in Papendrecht, the Netherlands (under supervision of Weser Flugzeugbau in Einswarden, Germany) and Potez-C.A.M.S. (SNCA du Nord) in Sartouville, France. Next to the MLD - Royal Netherlands Naval, the Dornier Do-24 served as a sea rescue and transport aircraft with the Luftwaffe; French Navy; Royal Australian Air Force; Spanish Air Force; Swedish Air Force and the Royal Norwegian Air Force.

On 17 August 2013, Dornier Do-24ATT Amphibian D-CIDO was seen at Naval Air Station Nordholz during the spottersday prior the Air Day Nordholz "100 Jahre Marineflieger".

page last updated: 18-10-2013
Copyright © Jack Wolbrink, Emmen, the Netherlands
 

aeroplanes history / photo index    helicopters photo gallery   Eurocopter EC120 productionlist   Micro Light Aeroplanes    European Airfields online