In 1943, the British government formed a committee under the chairmanship of Lord Brabazon
of Tara to identify post-war civil aviation requirements. The Viscount was one of the results
of the Brabazon Committee's Type IIB requirement for a 24-seat short/medium-range airliner
for European routes, powered by four turboprop engines. Discussions between the committee,
liased with B.E.A., and Vickers designers resulted in the developing of the Type 609.
Construction of two prototypes began in December 1946, modified to a 32-seat capacity at the
request of British European Airways, renumbered Type 630 and named Viceroy. The name was changed
to Viscount in 1947. Prototype Model 630 Viscount (G-AHRF) powered by Rolls-Royce Darts
engines was flown first on 16 July 1948. The second prototype (G-AHRG ntu; VX217), completed with
Rolls-Royce Tay turbojets was used as an engine test-bed. The design was considered as to small
and slow, went back to the drawing board and re-emerged as the larger Type 700 with a 53-seat
capacity. The new prototype (G-AMAV) flew for the first time on August 28, 1950. A total of 287
of the Viscount 700 Srs. was built. The Viscount 800 Srs. accommodated up to 71 passengers and
flew on 27 July 1956, sixty-seven being produced, followed by 84 Viscount 810 Srs. aircraft.
On 11 May 1984, British Air Ferries' Vickers V.806 Viscount G-AOYO was operated on a
charter to Groningen Airport Eelde in the Netherlands. This aircraft was initial delivered as G-AOYO to BEA on 3 April 1958; the aircraft
was transferred to B.K.S. Air Transport on 30 May 1968. On 1 November 1970, BKS changed its name to Northeast Airlines. In July 1973, the airline became a
part of the British Airways group and on 31 March 1976, the Northeast fleet, including the G-AOYO,
became part of British Airways. After the Viscount was withdrawn from use, the C of A expired on
4 April 1982. The Vickers V.806 was brought back in service with British Air Ferries and registered
G-AOYO on 27 January 1984. British Air Ferries operated a number of Viscounts. On 24 September 1985, Vickers V.806 Viscount G-AOYO was de-registered.
The aircraft entered service as EC-DXU with Lineas Aereas Canarias on their inter-island services. The Viscount is stored
derelict at Tenerife Los Rodeos as EC-DXU in the L.A.C. colours.