The Piper PA-16 Clipper is a single engine, four-seat high-wing light utility aircraft.
The Model PA-16 is tube/fabric construction aircraft with a 108 hp Lycoming
O-235-C1 engine, developed from Model PA-14 and was infact a further development of
the Piper J-3C. The Piper Model PA-16 flew first in 1947. FAA Type certification was
awarded on 18 October 1948. Next to the four-seat Model PA-16, the three-seat
Model PA-16S was developed. FAA Type certification for the Model PA-16S
was awarded on 20 July 1949. The Piper PA-16 Clipper was introduced in
January 1949, and remained in production to November 1949, with 736
aircraft built. However Piper had to change the name when Pan American
Airlines objected since Clipper was a copyrighted name synonymous with
their flying boats, the PA-16 is still known as Clipper.