Aviationweb déjà vu                       Luchtvaart déjà vu aeroplanes photo gallery

Piaggio P.149D / FWP.149D

D-EEGD D-EERP
D-EFTU D-EGIT
D-EGOS D-EHJL
D-EHVO D-EIFE

Morane-Saulnier MS.880B

 
D-EDMB  
SOCATA MS.893A
 
D-EHSP  
OO-MEV Piaggio FWP.149D c/n 053 - Leopoldsburg-Sanicole airfield in Belgium - 14 August 2004 more oldtimers aeroplanes

The Piaggio P.149 is a 4-seat touring development of the P.148, a 2-seat side-by-side all metal trainer with a fixed tailwheel undercarriage. The prototype of the P.149 (I-PIAM c/n 171) with a 260 hp Avco Lycoming GO-435-C2 engine and a retractable tri-gear flew first on 19 June 1953. Two years later the P.149 was selected by the Federal German Air Force as a standard basic training and liaison monoplane. To meet their requirements a 2-seat military trainer version of the P.149 with glazed cabin roof, deeper rear fuselage and a 280 hp Lycoming GO-480 engine was developed, designated P.149-D. The Federal German Air Force (Luftwaffe der Bundesrepublik Deutschland) ordered 265 Piaggio P.149D for use as a 2-seat primary trainer and 5-seat liaison aircraft. Piaggio built 76, including one which was written off before delivery. Focke-Wulf built 190 under licence from Piaggio. The first Piaggio built P.149D (AS+401 c/n 250) was delivered to Memmingen Air Base in May 1957. In the mean time Focke-Wulf had started production in Bremen, Germany and delivered its first example in November 1957.

Piaggio FWP.149D c/n 053 is one of the 190 built by Focke-Wulf under licence from Piaggio and entered service with the Luftwaffe FFS-S (Flugzeugführerschule "S") as AS+480. In service with the Luftwaffe the aircraft was re-serialed BF+405 with TSLw1 (Technische Schule der Luftwaffe 1) and finally 90+39. After the Luftwaffe withdrew the 9039 from use, they donated this particular FWP.149D, as several others, to a German flying club. Excessive costs and flying complexity made the P.149 unsuitable for club use and the aircraft came into private hands. The aircraft was imported into Belgium by Mr. Vital Melotte and registered OO-MEV in Belgium on 22 June 1972. The OO-MEV was tranferred to Paul Staelens, Kiewit, and registered with the new owner on 10 August 1973. The next owner was J. d'Heere with the aircaft based at Leopoldsbug-Sanicole. In 2005, the OO-MEV was substantial damaged in a landing incident. Piaggio OO-MEV is stored at Genk-Zwartberg.

page last updated: 17-04-2006
Copyright © Jack Wolbrink, Emmen, the Netherlands
 

aeroplanes history / photo index    helicopters photo gallery   Eurocopter EC120 productionlist   Micro Light Aeroplanes    European Airfields online