The SE-313B Alouette II is a single-engined utility helicopter that can
accommodate up to 4 passengers. Development of the SE-3130 Alouette II
started in the early 50s under the SNCA Sud-Est banner. The Sud-Est
SE-3130 Alouette II was derived from the SE-3120 Alouette, a
three-seater built in 1949 powered by a Salmson 9 NH piston engine. Two
prototypes of the SE-3130 model were built, featuring a Turbomeca
Artouste II turbine-engine and an enlarged cabin. The first flight of an
SE.3130, the F-WWHE c/n 01, occurred on 12 March 1955, certification was
achieved on 2 May 1957. The Alouette II entered production with
Sud-Aviation that was formed when SNCASE merged with SNCASO on 1
September 1956. In 1964, the SE.3130 was replaced in production by the
SE.3180 variant that differed in the installation of an Astazou II
turbine-engine and a strengthened transmission system. In 1967, the
SE.3130 was re-designated SE.313B; the SE.3180 was re-designated
SE.318C. On 1 January 1970, Sud-Aviation was merged with a number of
other French aerospace companies to form the SNIAS (Société Nationale
Industrielle Aerospatiale). The Alouette II remained in production until
1975. Over 1500 helicopters of the different versions of the Alouette II
were built, including production under licence in the U.S.A, India and Sweden.
From 1984, SNIAS operated under the name of Aérospatiale. The helicopter
divisions of MBB from Germany and Aérospatiale from France merged in
January 1992 to form the Eurocopter Group. As a result of the merger between the Eurocopter parents Aérospatiale-Matra; DaimlerChrysler Aerospace (DASA)
and Construcciones Aeronàuticas Sociedad Anonima (CASA) in July 2000, the Eurocopter group became a division of the new formed
EADS (European Aeronautic Defence and Space company). Taking off into 2014, EADS was rebranded as "Airbus Group". Uniting
all its activities under a single brand, its helicopter division Eurocopter was rebranded as Airbus Helicopters on 8 January 2014.
The 1958-built Aérospatiale SE.3130 Alouette II c/n 1185 / 71C flew first with
test-registration F-WIPG. On 16 September 1958, the SE.3130 Alouette II was
delivered to the Army Air Corps as XN132, as part of an evaluation order for five
Alouette IIs. The XN132 was, together with Alouette II's XN133, XP966,
XP967 and XR232, on loan for evaluation till to December 1960. On
18 September 1958, the SE.3130 Alouette II was ferried as F-WIPG to
Middle Wallop in the UK and entered service as XN132 with 6 Liason/Depot
Flt AAC at Middle Wallop. In both 1962 and in 1964, the Alouette II was
permitted to fly with registration F-WIES when the XN132 was tested
after maintenance by Héli Service at Marignane. Over the years, Aérospatiale SE.3130 Alouette XN132
served with a number of AAC units. In December 1988, the XN132 was transferred to RNAY (Royal Naval Air Yard) Wroughton for storage.
On 9 March 1990, the helicopter was advertised for sale together with the remainder of the Alouette aircraft in UK military service.
On 11 June 1992, the SE.3130 entered the UK register as G-BUIV with M and P Food Products Ltd., Sutton Coldfield. On 12 May 1992, Teuge
Helikopters B.V., Apeldoorn, reserved registration PH-THC for the Alouette II, but this registration was not taken up. On 29 April, the
G-BUIV arrived at Rotterdam and on 15 May 1993, registration G-BUIV was cancelled as exported to the Netherlands. On 13 May 1993, the
helicopter was registered PH-NSW with ATAS (Air Towing Air Service) BV, Brummen. On 29 September 1993, the SE.3130 Alouette II
PH-NSW was registered with Helicon BV, Brummen. On 10 March 1994, the registered type of the PH-NSW changed to SE.313B. On 26 June 1999, Alouette
II PH-NSV was damaged beyond repair in a crash at Oudenkerk aan den IJssel. On 18 November 2000, registration PH-NSW was cancelled.
On 26 June 2003, the PH-NSW was transferred to the Museum at Deelen AFB. In
the winter of 2005/2006, the airframe of the SE.313B Alouette II helicopter was sold to an Austrian
and transported to Austria. In Austria, the helicopter was seen stored
in a hangar with some parts of the helicopter removed (for spares?).