The Pützer Elster C is a high-wing, side-by-side seated, light aircraft built by Alfons Pützer K.G. in Bonn, Germany.
The Alfons Pützer K.G. started operations in 1953, building sailplanes with the side-by-side two-seat Doppelraab glider,
designed by Fritz Raab, as their most importend model. In 1955, as result of the Paris Accords, West Germany was allowed
to built powered aircraft again and Alfons Pützer K.G. i Bonn decided to fit the Doppelraab glider with an engine. The
prototye of their Motorraab (D-EBAC c/n V.1) which was little more than a Doppelraab with a fixed tri-cycle undercarriage
and a 32 hp Volkswagen engine fitted in the nose flew in 1955. Two futher Motorraabs were constructed, the second aircraft
(D-EHOG c/n 03) having a 52 hp Porsche 678/3 engine and, using this engine Putzer proceeded to develop the Motorraab into
the prototype Putzer Elster. This Elster A (D-EJOB c/n 001) was an all-wood aircraft with a strut-brace high wing and a
deepened version of the Motorraab fuselage was flown first in 1957. The airaft was further modified and a 95 hp Continental
C90-12F four-cylinder air-cooled engine was installed. This version was placed in production as the Elster B and was
selected by the Federal German Government. Twenty-five aircraft were ordered for use by the Federal German Luftwaffe's
sporting flying groups. Production deliveries commencing in 1960 and all twenty-five Elster B aircraft were
delivered to the Sportflug clubs in 1967. A further development of the Elster was the Elster C a version of the basic
design specifically intended for glider-towing; powered by a 150 hp Lycoming O-320 engine. The Elster accommodates pilot
and passenger side-by-side with dual-controls, and features a plywood monocoque fuselage and single-spar wings of wooden
construction braced by metal struts. The twenty-five aircraft ordered for use by the Federal German Luftwaffe's sporting flying
groups were flown under civilian registrations, registered with Bundesrepublik Deutschland as owner. Until the 70s the aircraft
flew without a radio. In 1971, militairy serials (9701-9721) were applied for the remaining twenty-one Elster B aircraft used
by the Federal German Luftwaffe's sporting flying groups. In 1978, the maintenance contract with Pützer expired and the
Luftwaffe aircraft were sold. A total of 44 Elsters (c/n 002 to 045) were constructed between 1957 and 1967, 32 of
these were the standard Elster B and 12 the Elster C Model.
The 1961-built Pützer Elster B s/n 022 was registered D-EFBY with Fliegerclub Merzbrück at Flugplatz Aachen - Merzbrück.
Since, the aircraft was modified to an Elster C, fitted with a 150 hp Lycoming O-320 engine. On 1 May 2019, Pützer Elster
C D-EBFY was seen at its home base Flugplatz Rheine - Esschendorf (EDXE), where it is used by LSV Eschendorf for glider-towing.