The Stampe & Vertongen SV-4B is a tandem 2-seat biplane of wood and fabric construction normally fitted with cockpit canopy.
Jean Stampe and Maurice Vertongen founded their company as a flying school at Antwerp-Deurne in 1922. The ‘Constructions Aéronautics
J.Stampe & M.Vertongen’ started production of aircraft based on the design of Alfred Renard in 1923. After Renard left the
company Georges Ivanow replaced him. Georges was asked in 1932 to study a new aircraft, which resulted in the SV4. The prototype
flew first on 13 May 1933 and the aircraft entered production. On 10 May 1940. the factory was bombed by the Luftwaffe and destroyed.
The SV-4 was redesigned and produced by SNCAN in France from 1945 till 1950. In 1947, the partnership with Renard was renewed. Alfred
Renard and Jean Stampe formed the company Stampe & Renard and opened a new factory at Evere near Brussels. During 1948, they built
20 SV.4B aircraft for the Belgian Air Force that were delivered between June 29th 1948 and December 3rd 1948 to the EVS at Goetsenhoven.
This first batch was followed by 45 SV.4C airplanes built 1951 and 1955.
Stampe & Vertongen SV-4C s/n 599 was built in 1947 under licence by SNCAN - Société Nationale de
Constructions Aéronatiques du Nord. It flew first as F-BDET in April 1946. As F-BDET, the SV-4C was on 16
February 1948; 20 June 1954 and 14 July 1957 involved in accidents, but was restored in flying condition
every time. On 24 August 1977, registration F-BDET was cancelled as exported
to Germany and registered D-EOWS. In November 1991, the aircraft was re-registered D-ERDA.
On 30 July 2020,
Stampe & Vertongen SV-4C D-ERDA was seen at it's present home base Flugplatz Nordhorn-Lingen "Klausheide".