The Cessna 172 is a four-seat single engined high wing light aircraft of
all-metal construction, developed by Cessna Aircraft Company, Wichita,
Kansas, USA. Introduced in 1955, the Model 172 was initially a Model 170
with tricycle undercarriage and altered tail unit. The Model 172 was
approved by the FAA on 4 November 1955. The first flight of the
prototype was in November 1955. The 172 became an sales success and over
1400 were built in 1956, its first full year of production. The first
major design change was introduced in the Model 172A, quantity
deliveries of which began in 1960. The Model 172A featured swept
vertical tail surfaces and was followed into production by the Model
172B late in 1960. A de luxe version of the Model 172B was introduced
simultaneously as the Skyhawk. The 1962 model was the Cessna 172C,
followed in 1963 by the Model 172D, and in 1964 by the Model 172E. In
1964, Cessna won a contract with the U.S. Air Force for one hundred and
seventy aircraft Model 172 aircraft, under the designation Cessna T-41A.
The first T-41A was delivered in September 1964. The Cessna T-41A
Mescalero primairy trainer was used as initial flight screening aircraft
in USAF Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT). Over the years, U.S. Air
Force ordered 855 of the aircraft in ever more powerful versions from
models A through D, the latter with a 210-horsepower engine and a
variable-pitch propeller. The Air Force and Naval academies used the
T-41 to train cadets, while the U.S. Army used it for reconnaissance.
Beginning in 1993 the U.S. military phased out the Mescalero. The 1965
Model 172F introduced electrically operated flaps to replace the
previous lever-operated system. The Model 172F (USAF T-41A) was approved
by the FAA on 21 April 1964. Starting with the Model 172F the Cessna 172
was built in France by Reims Cessna as the F172 until 1971. These
aircraft were identical to the US-built aircraft but the French aircraft
were given DGAC Type Certificates. The Cessna model in 1966 was the
172G, followed in 1967 by the Model 172H. In 1968 not only Model 172I
was introduced, but also a new model the 177. The 1969 model 172K was,
despite some developments in production as Model 172K in 1970. The Model
172L was in production during 1971 and 1972. The Model 172M gained a
drooped wing leading edge for improved low speed handling. The 172M was
also the first to introduce the optional `II' package of higher standard
equipment. The 172M of 1973 was in production in the period 1973-1976.
Also in 1976 Cessna stopped marketing the aircraft as the 172. Model
172N, the Skyhawk N, or Skyhawk/100 as Cessna termed it, was introduced
for the 1977 model year. The Model 172N remained in production until
1980 when the Model 172P or Skyhawk P was introduced. Production of the
Model 172P, or Skyhawk P ended in 1985 and Cessna stopped production
entirely in 1986 for ten years due to the high cost of liability. After
the General Aviation Revitalization Act became law, Cessna resumed
production in Independence, Kansas. The Skyhawk R was introduced in 1996
and is powered by a derated Lycoming IO-360L2A producing a maximum of
160 hp. This is the first Cessna 172 to have a factory fitted
fuel-injected engine. The Cessna 172S was introduced in 1998. This model
is marketed under the name Skyhawk SP, although the Type Certiciation
data sheet specifies it is a 172S. As of 2007, both the R and S models
are in production. With more than 43,000 aircraft with several
model variants delivered, the Skyhawk is the best-selling, most-flown
plane ever built.
On 1 June 1973, Reims/Cessna F172M Skyhawk s/n F17200996 was registered
G-BAZT in the UK with Channel Islands Aero Engineering Ltd., St. Peter,
Jersey, Channel Islands. Since, the in 1973 by Reims Aviation S.A. built
Cessna F172M was operated by seven differend owners in the UK. On 16
July 2013, the G-BAZT was registered with TEOS BV, Huizen, the Netherlands.
In service with TEOS BV, the Reims/Cessna F172M Skyhawk is based at Hoogeveen airfield in the Netherlands.
On 13 November 2013, the G-BAZT was photographed in front of its home, the Ypenburg hangar at Hoogeveen.
This hangar was original constructed in 1936 at Ypenburg near The Hague. After Ypenburg airport was closed,
this former Fokker hangar was broken down at Ypenburg and rebuilt at Hoogeveen early 2000.