The Piper PA-23-250 Aztec E is a six-seat all-metal low-wing twin-engine business aircraft.
The Piper PA-23 was initially designed by Stinson in the late 1940s, as the Twin Stinson, an all-metal four-seat light twin. In 1948, Piper
Aircraft Corporation purchased the Stinson Division of Consolidated Vultee and Piper developed the Twin Stinson further as the PA-23 Apache.
The first prototype PA-23 flew first on 2 March 1952. Production deliveries commanced in 1953.
The aircraft was continious in production and improved with the PA-23-235 Apache four/five seater as the end model
as Apache. In 1958, an upgraded version with 250 hp Lycoming O-540 engines and a swept vertical tail was produced as the
PA-23-250 and named Aztec. Production deliveries of the five-seat Piper PA-23-250 Aztec A began in 1959. The PA-23-250
cabin monoplane was introduced in its six-seat Aztec B form in 1962. The Aztec B differs from its predecessor in having
an elongate nose housing, a second luggage compartment, a modified instrument panel, and improved maintenance accessibility.
The Piper PA-23-250 Aztec B was powered by two 250 hp Lycoming O-540-A1D5 six-cylinder air-cooled engines. The later models
of the Aztec were equipped with IO-540-C4B5 fuel-injected engines. Production of PA-23 ended in 1982,
wit a total of 6976 Piper PA-23s in various models built. The ICAO code for the Piper PA-23 is PA23.
On 23 July 1974, the 1974-built Piper PA-23-250 Aztec E s/n 27-7405378 was registered G-BCJR to Baltic Union Shipbrokers, London.
On 23 November 1978 the G-BCJR was registered to Anglo Nomandy Aviation, Guernsey; on 6 October 1981 to Alison Automates Machinery,
Elvington; on 6 June 1983 to Severnside International Aviation, Newport; on 12 September 1983 to Graylint, Newport, and on 3 December
1985 to Creedair, Fairoaks. On 25 April 1986, the Piper PA-23-250 Aztec E was registered as G-BSOB to Creedair Executive Air Taxis,
Guernsey. On 30 April 1987, the aircraft was registered as G-HFTG to Field Aircraft Services (Heathrow), London, with Hunting
Aircraft as operator of the G-HFTG. On 15 September 1989, the G-HFTG was registered to Aldred Associates, Shoreham Airport; on
10 May 1990 to Air Navigation and Trading Company, Blackpool Airport; on 14 February 1992 to Clacton Aero Club (1988),
Clackton-on-Sea; on 12 September 1995 to Gold Air International, Cambridge Airport, and on 25 March 2003, the G-HFTG was registered
to Annette Mannheim, Mülheim-Kärlich, Germany. On 4 March 2005, registration G-HFTG was cancelled as exported to Germany, where it was
registered D-IAVA with Vulcan Airservice, Mülheim-Kärlich.
On 12 May 2022, the Vulcan Airservice´ Piper PA-23-250 Aztec E D-IAVA was
seen at Koblenz-Winningen airfield (EDRK).