In 1943, the British government formed a committee under the chairmanship of Lord Brabazon
of Tara to identify post-war civil aviation requirements. The Viscount was one of the results
of the Brabazon Committee's Type IIB requirement for a 24-seat short/medium-range airliner
for European routes, powered by four turboprop engines. Discussions between the committee,
liased with B.E.A., and Vickers designers resulted in the developing of the Type 609.
Construction of two prototypes began in December 1946, modified to a 32-seat capacity at the
request of British European Airways, renumbered Type 630 and named Viceroy. The name was changed
to Viscount in 1947. Prototype Model 630 Viscount (G-AHRF) powered by Rolls-Royce Darts
engines was flown first on 16 July 1948. The second prototype (G-AHRG ntu; VX217), completed with
Rolls-Royce Tay turbojets was used as an engine test-bed. The design was considered as to small
and slow, went back to the drawing board and re-emerged as the larger Type 700 with a 53-seat
capacity. The new prototype (G-AMAV) flew for the first time on August 28, 1950. A total of 287
of the Viscount 700 Srs. was built. The Viscount 800 Srs. accommodated up to 71 passengers and
flew on 27 July 1956, sixty-seven being produced, followed by 84 Viscount 810 Srs. aircraft.
On 2 July 1991, British Air Ferries' Vickers V.806 Viscount G-AOYG was operated on a charter to Groningen Airport
Eelde in the Netherlands. On 20 December 1956, this aircraft was initial registered G-AOYG with British European Airways
Corporation (BEA). On 4 October 1957, the Viscount V.806 G-AOYG was flown first from Brooklands Airfield, Weybridge,
Surrey, England. On 1 January 1958, the G-AOYG was loaned to Vickers-Armstrongs (Aircraft) Ltd for tropical trials,
and the aircraft was repainted in the 'VICKERS VISCOUNT 806-810' livery. On 29 March 1958, the G-AOYG was finally
delivered to British European Airways (BEA) and named 'R M A Charles Darwin'. During 1969-1970 the G-AOYG operated
the Tangier, Morocco to Gibraltar service for Gibraltar Airways. On 8 September 1970, the aircraft was sold to
Cambrian Airways / British Air Services and on 9 October 1970 registered with Cambridge Airways. On 1 September 1972,
Cambrian Airways became part of the Regional Division of British Airways (BA) and on 31 July 1073, the aircraft was
transferred to British Airways (BA) due to a corporate merger, still operating on the old Cambrian Airways routes.
On 31 March 1974, the G-AOYG was sold to and the next day registered with British Airways. From 17 February 1975
to 26 April 1975, the aircraft was leased to Alidair. On 27 January 1984, Vickers V.806 Viscount G-AOYG was
registered to British World Airlines that operated as British Air Ferries (BAF). From March 1984 to August 1986,
the G-AOYG was leased to Guernsey Airlines; and from June 1987 to July 1988 leased to Virgin Atlantic Airways. On
28 October 1988, Vickers V.806 Viscount G-AOYG was named as 'Viscount Sir Peter Masefield'. On 18 June 1992, the
Certificate of Airworthiness expired and the aircraft was stored at Southend Airport. In January 1994, the airframe
was sold to Hanningfield Metals for metal recovery and broken up into sections and transferred to their yard at
Templewood Industrial Estate, West Hanningfield, Essex, England. On 7 March 1994, registration G-AOYG was cancelled as destroyed.