The Fokker S-11 Instructor is a single engine, two-seat side-by-side
primairy trainer with a fixed tailwheel undercarriage. Fokker first began manufacturing
planes in Germany in 1912. On 21 July 1919, Anthony H.G. Fokker founded
in Amsterdam the "N.V. Nederlandse Vliegtuigfabriek". To commemorate
Fokker's thirty years of aircraft manufacture in the Netherlands, they
were granted the title "Royal Dutch Aircraft Manufacturer Fokker" on
21 July 1949. Until production ended after Fokker collapsed due to
financial problems on 15 March 1996, Fokker have developed and
constructed over 100 different types of aircraft, both for military and
civil aviation. In 1946, just after World War II, Fokker started design studies for a
lowwing primairy trainer with a fixed tailwheel undercarriage. Soon the Luchtstrijdkrachten (LSK)
and Frits Diepen participated in the development of the Fokker S-11.
On 8 October 1946, Frits Diepen Vliegtuig NV (FDV.NV) ordered 100 aircraft of the type for resale.
On 18 December 1947, the prototype of the Fokker S.11 (PH-NBE c/n 6187) flew first, powered by a 190
hp Lycoming O-435-A six-cylinder air-cooled engine. On 12 March 1948, the second prototype
of the Fokker S-11 (PH-NBF c/n 6188) flew first. During testing it was found that some aerodynamic
changes had to be made to improve the handling of the aircraft. Both prototypes were modified in 1948 and
were next to the testflying used as demonstrators until the PH-NBF crashed in Sweden on 16 June 1949. After
the loss of the second prototype, the first prototype was broken up and the registration was cancelled on 10 May 1950.
The construction of the Fokker S-11 was improved and the aircraft entered production. The LSK ordered 39 aircraft and in 1950
the first Fokker S.11-1 Instructors entered service with the Koninklijke Luchtmacht (former LSK). The Fokker S.11-1 served
with the Koninklijke Luchtmacht (Royal Netherlands Air Force) first with the EVO at Woensdrecht AFB. In 1968 the EVO
(Elementaire Vlieger Opleiding) moved to Gilze-Rijen AFB. Next to the Royal Netherlands Air Force, the Fokker S.11 was delivered
to the air arms of Brazil, Israel and Italy. Until production of the Fokker S-11 in the Netherlands ended in 1953 a total of 101
aircraft were built. Next to the Dutch production, the Fokker S.11 was manufactured under licence by Aermacchi in Italy as the
Macchi M.416 and by Fokker Industria Aeronautica SA / Fabrica do Galeao in Brazil.
On 14 August 2004, the Fokker S-11.1 Instructor c/n 6199 OO-PCH was photographed at Leopoldsburg/Sanicole
airfield in Belgium. The aircraft was operated before by the Royal Netherlands Air Force as 'E-1'. After
being withdrawn from use by the RNethAF, the 'E-1' was sold to C.Honcoop. On 19 February 1974, C.Honcoop
PH-HOA for the aircraft. The Fokker S.11-1 didn't enter the Dutch register as the aircraft was sold in Belgium and registered OO-PCH on 17 July 1974.