Fokker first began manufacturing planes in Germany in 1912. On 21 July 1919,
Anthony H.G. Fokker founded the "N.V. Nederlandse Vliegtuigfabriek" in Amsterdam.
To commemorate Fokker's thirty years of aircraft manufacture in the Netherlands, they were
granted the title "Royal Dutch Aircraft Manufacturer Fokker" on 21 July 1949.
Until production ended after Fokker collapsed due to financial problems on 15 March 1996,
Fokker have developed and constructed over 100 different types of aircraft, both for military
and civil aviation. Design studies for Fokker's first airliner after World War II were initiated in 1950.
In 1951 Fokker received support for this study for "Ontwerp 271" and the
next two years were spent studying a variety of different configurations
before the decision was made in favour of a twin-Dart aeroplane with
pressurised accommodation for 28 passengers and a minimum range of 483
km with a capacity payload. On 1 September 1953, the development
programme for the F-27 Friendship started. Four prototypes were to be
built, two for test flying (F-1 and F-3) and the other two for static
fatigue tests (F-2 and F-4). The first prototype (F-1) was powered by
two Rolls-Royce Dart 6 Mk.507 engines and flew first on 24 November 1955 as PH-NIV.
The second prototype (F-3), which had a 0.91 meter lengthened fuselage
and the higher-powered Rolls-Royce Dart 6 Mk.511, followed on 31 January 1957 as PH-NVF.
The first production aircraft (F-5 c/n 10105), a Fokker F-27-101 made its first flight on
23 March 1958 as PH-FAA and was h/o to Aer Lingus on 19 November 1958 as EI-AKA. Until production of the
Fokker F-27 ended in 1986 a total of 786 aircraft were built, including
206 manufactured under licence by Fairchild in the U.S.A.
Philips Vliegdienst was a regular visitor of Groningen-Eelde airfield in the Netherlands.
Next to their own Fokker F-27 Friendship; Beech Baron, Queen Air & King Air; De Havilland DH-104 Dove & DH-114 Heron;
Dassault Falcon 10, 20 & 50; AB206 Jet Ranger and Grumman G-1159 Gulfstream II they
came in with the aircraft of Vliegsyndicaat Welschap and Vliegsyndicaat Twenthe. Fokker
F-27 Friendship PH-LIP made its first flight on 26 March 1962 and was registered with Philips
Gloeilampenfabrieken NV on 4 April 1962. The registration was cancelled on 15 April 1975.
The Friendship was transferred to WDL Flugdienst GmbH and registered D-BAKA on 28 June 1975.
After being withdrawn from use by WDL the D-BAKA was scrapped at Essen/Mülheim in Germany.