Aviationweb déjà vu                Luchtvaart déjà vu aeroplane gallery

D-EJGR

Piper L-4H Cub
D-EJAO
D-EGMG ML-KNIL R344
Piper PA-16 Clipper
D-EIOG PH-ANI
Piper PA-19 / L-18C
D-EHCB
D-EBHV D-EHCB
Piper L-21B Super Cub
BelgAF LB-05 RNethAF R-163
Piper PA-22-108 Colt
D-EPCT
D-EDCE D-EPCT
Piper PA-25-260 Pawnee
D-ESYY PH-VBC
D-EJGR Piper PA-18-95 Super Cub c/n 18-3454 - WGAF 96+30 'Richthofen' - Flugplatz Leer-Papenburg in Germany - 24 March 2022 Flugplatz Leer-Papenburg (EDWF)

The Piper PA-18-95 Super Cub is a two-seat high-wing light utility aircraft. The Piper PA-18 Super Cub flew for the first time in 1949, and the FAA Type certification was awarded on 18 November 1949. The first production Super Cubs were delivered in 1949. Over 10.000 Super Cubs were built, including about 8,500 civilian Super Cubs and more than 1,800 delivered to the U.S. and several foreign military services as L-18Cs and L-21s for liaison; training; transport and target tugs work. Most of the Super Cubs were built until 1981 when production originally ceased. Super Cub production resumed by WTA between 1982 and 1988 totalled 250. Between 1988 and 1994 Piper Aircraft built another 102.

After World War II, German aviation was severely curtailed, and military aviation was completely forbidden after the Luftwaffe of the Third Reich had been disbanded in August 1946 by the Allied Control Commission. This changed in 1955 when West Germany joined NATO, as the Western Allies believed that West Germany was needed to counter the increasing military threat posed by the Soviet Union and its Warsaw Pact allies. Therefore, on 9 January 1956, a new German Air Force called Luftwaffe was founded as a branch of the new Bundeswehr. During the summer of 1956, the Luftwaffe began to accept its first aircraft, commencing in June with 27 Super Cubs used for basic training. The 1954-built Piper PA-18-95 s/n 18-3454 with USAF serial 54-754 was one of a total of forty tandem-seat Piper L-18C-PI Super Cub aircraft delivered to the West German Air Force. The Piper entered service with the Luftwaffe Flugzeugführerschule "S" (FFS-S) as AS+536. In service with the Luftwaffe the aircraft was re-serialed AC+536 with FFS-C and later NL+116 with Sportgruppe. On 1 January 1968, a new serial system for the Luftwaffe aircraft was introduce and the NL+116 became 96+30. After the Luftwaffe withdrew the aircraft from use, the 96+30 entered the German civil register. On 6 January 1979, the Super Cub was registered D-EJGR. Registration D-EJGR refers to Jagdgeschwader Richthofen with Fluggruppe JG 71 'R' as user of the aircraft. The home base of the D-EJGR is Wittmundhafen Air Base (ETNT); due to the renovation of the runway of Wittmund AB, the D-EJGR is tempory based at the nearby Flugplatz Brockzetel.

page last updated: 25-03-2022
Copyright © Jack Wolbrink, Emmen, the Netherlands
 

  aeroplanes index   helicopters index   EC120 - H120 productionlist   Micro Light Aeroplanes   European Airfields