The R.J. Enstrom Corporation, named after its initiator Rudy Enstrom,
was officially organised in 1959 in Menominee, Michigan. Their first
more thoroughly engineered helicopter design was the F-28. The two-seat
prototype of the F-28 was flown first on 12 November 1960, followed by
the first of two three-seat production prototypes on 26 May 1962.
Initial FAA certification was achieved for the F-28 model on 15 April 1965.
The Enstrom F-28 was built in limited quantities. A more powerful
version, the F-28A, was certified on 28 May 1968. This helicopter entered
full rate production, and over 300 helicopters of this model were
manufactured. After ownership of the company changed in January 1971, the
company name was changed into Enstrom Helicopter Corporation. A
collaboration between a Boston industrial design firm and the Enstrom
engineering team yielded a new aerodynamically styled airframe, the 280
Shark. This new model was certified on 13 September 1974 and immediately
put into production. Over the years a number of models were developed
and produced based on the body style of the 280. The single-engine Enstrom 280C was approved on 8 December 1975. This version
of the three-seat light utility helicopter has an upgraded engine, fitted with a turbocharger.
22 April 1974 is given as manufacturing date for Enstrom F-28A s/n 184. The Enstrom F-28A was registered D-HOLA in Germany.
Over the years, the D-HOLA was modified into a Enstrom F-28A-D. Until 2013, when the helicopyter was withdrawn from use, the
D-HOLA was operated by some privat owners in Germany and by Atlas Air Service. In August 2013, the Enstrom F-28A-D was seen
at Ganderkesee Atlas Airfield (EDWQ) as a training airframe painted as 'D-HAAS'. On 30 April 2019, the 1974-built Enstrom was
seen preserved at Ganderkesee Atlas Airfield with fictitious registration 'D-EDWQ' painted on the tailboom. The 'D-EDWQ' has
been at this location since November 2018.