Aviationweb déjà vu                       Luchtvaart déjà vu aeroplanes photo gallery

Piaggio P.149D / FWP.149

D-EEGD D-EERP
D-EFTU D-EGOS
D-EHJL D-EHVO
D-EIFE OO-MEV
SOCATA TB-10 Tobago
PH-DFC PH-MLS
Stinson Vultee V-77
NC64435 Royal Navy FB735
D-EGIT Piaggio P.149D c/n 260 - Luftwaffe FFS-S "AS+411" colours - Hoogeveen airfield in Holland - 31 March 2005 more at vliegveld Hoogeveen

The Piaggio P.149 was a 4-seat touring development of the P.148, a 2-seat side-by-side all metal trainer with a fixed tailwheel undercarriage. The prototype of the P.149 (I-PIAM c/n 171) with a 260 hp Avco Lycoming GO-435-C2 engine and a retractable tri-gear flew first on 19 June 1953. Two years later the P.149 was selected by the Federal German Air Force as a standard basic training and liaison monoplane. To meet their requirements a 2-seat military trainer version of the P.149 with glazed cabin roof, deeper rear fuselage and a 280 hp Lycoming GO-480 engine was developed, designated P.149-D. The Federal German Air Force (Luftwaffe der Bundesrepublik Deutschland) ordered 265 Piaggio P.149D for use as a 2-seat primary trainer and 5-seat liaison aircraft. Piaggio built 76, including one which was written off before delivery. In 1955 Focke-Wulf obtained a licence to build the Italian-designed Piaggio P-149D. Focke-Wulf built 190 under licence from Piaggio. The first Piaggio built P.149D (AS+401 c/n 250) was delivered to Memmingen Air Base in May 1957. In the mean time Focke-Wulf had started production in Bremen, Germany, and delivered its first example in November 1957. In 1963, Focke-Wulf Flugzeugbau AG merged with Weser-Flugzeugbau GmbH to form VFW GmbH.

Five ex. German Air Force Piaggio FWP.149D's are based at Hoogeveen aerodrome in the Netherlands: D-EEGD; D-EERP; D-EFTU; D-EGIT and D-EIFE. These Piaggio's or "Piggi's" belong to "Stichting Vliegsport Seagull" and are well known as the "Seagull Formation". Piaggio P.149D s/n 260 was one of the 76 built by Piaggio in 1957-1959 and entered service with the Luftwaffe FFS-S (Flugzeugführerschule "S") as AS+411. In service with the Luftwaffe the aircraft was re-serialed AC+411 and 91+78. As most of the P-149D's the 9178 was withdrawn from use in the period 1971-1973. In February 1975, the aircraft entered the German civil-register as D-EGIT. The registration was cancelled after the aircraft was written off on 10 May 1975. The aircraft was rebuilt and restored to the register as D-EGIT in January 1976. Piaggio P.149D D-EGIT was damaged beyond repair in a crash near Hollandscheveld on 4 August 2012. During the emergency landing after an engine faillure, the aircraft struck a tree and landed on a shed.

page last updated: 04-08-2012
Copyright © Jack Wolbrink, Emmen, the Netherlands
 

aeroplanes history / photo index    helicopters photo gallery   Eurocopter EC120 productionlist   Micro Light Aeroplanes    European Airfields online