Designed originally for agricultural duties under the designation SKh-1, the An-2 utility transport
flew for the first time on 31 August 1947. Of robust construction and suitable for operations from
short, semi-prepared strips, the Antonov An-2 has been manufactured for both military and civil roles.
The An-2 remained in production until 1991. Over 18.000 of the different types were built in the
Ukraine (5000), Poland (12000) and China (1000).
Antonov An-2S s/n 178(473)02 was delivered as '888' to the NVA (East German Air Force) and noted first in service on 10 May 1958.
On 30 July 1990, the aircraft was registered DDR-SKL with Interflug/Agrarflug in the DDR as an Antonov An-2S,
however it is in fact an Antonov An-2T.
On 1 September 1990, the Antonov was transferred to Flug Service Berlin and registered D-FONL in Germany. In October 1991, Antonov D-FONL
was transferred to Classic Air Berlin. In 1996, Ruppiner Air Service became the next operator of An-2S D-FONL. The aircraft was
registered with its present owner, Classic Wings, on 3 June 2001. Today,
Antonov D-FONL is painted in Deutsche Lufthansa colours, including registration DM-SKL.