The Morane-Saulnier MS.317 is a two-seat parasol-wing aeroplane.
SA des Aéroplanes Morane-Saulnier was established in 1911 and had a long
history of designing and building aeroplanes. In the inter-war period,
Morane Saulnier started its series of high-wing parasol types. The
parasol-wing MS.230 that was flown first in February 1929 was the most
successful and became a prominent trainer during the 1930's. Its successor, the MS.315
a parasol-wing trainer powered by a 135hp Salmson 9 Nc engine, flew
first in October 1932. The MS.315 was ordered for the French Air Force
and 346 were built, including 33 after the war. Next to the Air Force
the Navy operated the M.S.315 as a military trainer and as a glider tug.
In the early sixties the type was withdrawn from military use and the
remaining about thirty MS 315 airframes were modified to enable it more for its
task as glider tug with the more powerful 220 hp Continental American W670 engine and renamed M.S.317.
Today about ten MS.317 are still in flying condition.
Morane Saulnier M.S.317 F-BBZR was built in 1945 as a M.S.315.
On 18 January 1946, the aircraft was registered F-BBZR as a MS.315 with ETAT
/ Direction Generale de L'Aviation Civile / SEFA.
On 28 January 1964, after being modified and re-engined with a
Continental W-670-6A engine, the F-BBZR was registered as a Morane
Saulnier M.S.317. When photographed at St.Cyr l'Ecole aerodrome near
Paris, the aeroplane was painted as the l'Aeronavale BZ 54. On 6 July
2002, the F-BBZR was forced by engine troubles to land in an open field
near Plounévez-Moedec in France. However it landed without damage the
engine had to be replaced.