Aviationweb déjà vu                       Luchtvaart déjà vu helicopters photo gallery

SA.313 Alouette II
F-BSRM PH-NSW
SA.316B / SE.3160 Alouette III
RNethAF A-247 RNethAF A-292
RNethAF A-499 RNethAF H-81
Airbus Helicopters AS350 B
D-HFJS D-HFSC
PH-PLA PH-PLB
Eurocopter AS332 L / 532 U2
5V-TAH RNethAF S-419
LN-ONI Airbus Helicopters AS332 L2 Super Puma II c/n 2500 - Norsk Helikopter - Groningen Airport Eelde in Holland - 11 June 2007 more at Groningen Airport Eelde

The Airbus Helicopters AS.332 L2 Super Puma is a twin-engined medium-weight transport helicopter for up to 2 crew and 22 passengers powered by two Turboméca Makila 1A1 turbine engines. The SNIAS SA.332 Super Puma was derived from the SA.330 Puma, that flew first on 15 April 1965 under Sud-Aviation banner. On 1 January 1970, Sud-Aviation merged with a number of other French aerospace companies to form SNIAS (Société Nationale Industrielle Aerospatiale). Development of the AS.332 Super Puma with more powerful engines and an enhanced rotor system started in the late 70s. On 7 September 1977, the Makila-powered test-bed prototype SA.331 c/n 001 F-WZAT, the modified SA330 B Puma c/n 1541, flew first. The first production standard Super Puma, AS332-01 F-WZJA, was flown on 13 September 1978. On 1 February 1980, the AS332 C flew first, followed by the AS332 L version (L for long) on 10 October. SNIAS AS 332L Super Puma was certificated in 1983. From 1984, SNIAS operated under the name of Aérospatiale. The Super Puma is in use in several military and civilian roles. In 1990, the military Super Puma designations were changed from AS332 to AS532 Cougar to distinguish between the civil and military variants of the helicopter. The helicopter divisions of MBB from Germany and Aérospatiale from France merged in January 1992 to form the Eurocopter Group. As a result of the merger between the Eurocopter parents Aérospatiale-Matra; DaimlerChrysler Aerospace (DASA) and Construcciones Aeronàuticas Sociedad Anonima (CASA) in July 2000, the Eurocopter group became a division of the new formed EADS (European Aeronautic Defence and Space company). New Eurocopter designations for the further developed helicopters based on the AS332L series were added: EC 225 Super Puma (civilian versions) and EC 725 Cougar (military versions). Taking off into 2014, EADS was rebranded as "Airbus Group". Uniting all its activities under a single brand, its helicopter division Eurocopter was rebranded as Airbus Helicopters on 8 January 2014.

On 7 July 1999, the 1999-built Eurocopter AS332L2 c/n 2500 was registered LN-ONI in Norway with Norsk Helikopter AS, Sola, as operator and Heliair Leasing Ltd., as owner. On 11 June 2007, the Norsk Helikopter' AS332L2 Super Puma II LN-ONI was on its way to a offshore drill platform, but due to the fog the "NOR220" diverted to Groningen Airport Eelde in the Netherlands. In April 2009, Bristow Norway AS, Sola, was registered as operator and BriLog Leasing, Cayman Islands, was registered as owner of AS332L2 Super Puma II LN-ONI. On 8 July 2010, registration LN-ONI was cancelled after the Super Puma was transferred to Bristow Nigeria.

Norsk Helikopter AS was established in 1993 as a helicopter operator providing helicopter transport on the Norwegian continental shelf. 51% of the shares were owned by the Ugland family in Grimstad. The remaining 49% of the shares were owned by Bristow Group. On 27 October 2008, Bristow Helicopters announced that it had entered into an agreement to acquire the remaining 51% from joint owners of Norsk Helikopter. In April 2009, Norsk Helikopter AS was renamed Bristow Norway AS. Bristow Norway AS operates as a subsidiary of Bristow Helicopters Ltd. Bristow Norway AS is a Norwegian company based at Stavanger Airport, Sola. Next to Stavanger, Bristow Norway has bases in Bergen, Bronnoysund and Hammerfest and provides offshore helicopter transport and search and rescue services to clients in the energy sector.

page last updated: 12-01-2014
Photo Copyright © Jack Poelstra, the Netherlands
 

aeroplanes history / photo index    helicopters photo gallery   Eurocopter EC120 productionlist   Micro Light Aeroplanes    European Airfields online