The De Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth is a two-seat bi-plane. Developed out of the De Havilland
DH.60 Gipsy Moth as a trainer for the R.A.F., the DH.60T Tiger Moth powered by a 120 hp Gipsy III
engine was tested late summer 1931. The DH.60T was followed soon by improved the DH.82, which flew
first on 26 October 1931. After certification trials the Air Ministry placed an initial order for
35 airframes, K2567-K2601. The De Havilland DH-82 Tiger Moth deliveries to the Royal Air Force's 3
Flight Training School started in May 1932. In 1933, the improved DH.82A Tiger Moth II powered by a
130 Gipsy major engine was introduced. Production commenced in 1934. A total of 8492 De Havilland
DH.82 were built, not only in the UK but also in Norway, Portugal, Sweden, Canada, Australia and
New Zealand. The Indian Air Force operated nearly 150 DH.82 and DH.82A Tiger Moth airframes, of
which De Havilland Aircraft Pty Ltd. manufactured 128 in Australia. The Tiger Moth was in use with
military- and civil flying-schools all over the world.
The Rijks Luchtvaart School Holland, the Dutch Government Flight Training School,
was founded on 1 January 1946. Gilze-Rijen was chosen as its operational base. In March 1946, delivery started of the
first Tiger Moths, acquired by the Netherlands Government from R.A.F. supplies and in April 1946,
the R.L.S. begun its flying operations with the DH-82a aeroplanes. Over the years the RLS operated
30 De Havilland DH-82a Tiger Moth biplanes, which served in the period 1946-1960. The N8233 was
operated by the R.L.S. as PH-UAO. Morris Motors Ltd at Cowley, Oxford, UK, built the airframe under
license in 1944, and the aircraft entered service with the RAF as EM729. After the Tiger Moth was sold to Holland, the
aircraft was registered PH-UAO with the Rijksluchtvaartdienst on behalf of the RLS on 5 November 1946. As a result
of a number of accidents in July and August 1946, the Dutch government
ordered a modification for the Tiger Moth in attempt to improve the type's spinning characteristics.
The Dutch DH-82a Tiger Moth's, including the PH-UAO, were fitted with a modified vertical
fin. On 21 July 1960, After being withdrawn from use with RLS, the PH-UAO was registered with the NLS,
the N.V. Nationale Luchtvaart School. On 8 October 1970, the registration PH-UAO was cancelled and
the Tiger Moth was registered N8233 in the USA on 9 February 1971. Since the tail modification
was removed. Nowadays the registered owner of the N8233 is Egmond Aircraft LLC, Ridgewood, New Jersey in the US.
The aircraft is based at Hoogeveen airfield in the Netherlands.