Aviationweb déjà vu                       Luchtvaart déjà vu aeroplanes photo gallery

Piaggio P.149D / FWP.149

D-EEGD D-EERP
D-EFTU D-EGIT
D-EGOS D-EHJL
D-EHVO D-EIFE
 
OO-MEV  
Platzer Kiebitz
D-MPDG D-MPJM
PH-3W1 PH-3W2
OO-JKT Focke-Wulf Fw.44J Stieglitz c/n 183 - Seppe aerodrome near Roosendaal in Holland - 18 June 1994 more at Seppe (Hoeven) airfield

The Focke-Wulf Fw.44J Stieglitz is a two-seat biplane. Development of the Fw.44 with the Focke-Wulf Flugzeugbau started in 1931. The Stieglitz was developed by Kurt Tank as a two-seat biplane for sporting and primary training use. It was flown first in late summer 1932 powered by Argus As-8 in line engine. In the production aircraft this engine was replaced by the Siemens-Haiske Sh 14a radial engine. Next to Germany, orders came soon from South America; China; Sweden and Finland. The Focke-Wulf Fw.44 was not only produced in Germany but under license also in Sweden and Argentina.

In 1937, Focke-Wulf Fw.44J Stieglitz c/n 183 was built at the Focke-Wulf factory in Bremen, Germany. The airframe was one of a batch of fifteen originally Bremen built aircraft shipped to Argentina before the Second World War and before the aircraft type was produced under license in Argentina. The aircraft was registered LV-YYX in Argentina. In 1989, the aircraft was acquired by Hans Dittes and returned to Germany. Permit to fly as D-EHDH was given in August 1989, but the same year the Focke-Wulf Fw.44J Stieglitz was sold in Belgium and registration D-EHDH was cancelled. On 18 december 1989, the aircraft was registered OO-JKT with Titeca in Belgium and based at Brasschaat airfield near Antwerp. In 1996, Focke-Wulf OO-JKT suffered damage in a heavy landing at Speyer in Germany and finally the damaged aircraft was sold to Glenn Richard Lacey and shipped to North Weald in the UK. On 11 February 2004, registration OO-JKT was cancelled as exported to the UK. On 11 February 2004, the aircraft was registered G-STIG in the UK with G.R. Lacey, Epsom, and added to RLM Aviation at Fairoaks. RLM referred to 'Reichsluftfahrtministerium' and the RLM Aviation collection was a collection of Luftwaffe aircraft, parts and memorabilia. In 2005, the aircraft was restored in flying condition and painted in pre-WW II colours including registration D-2692. In 2006, the RLM Aviation collection, including Focke-Wulf Fw.44J Stieglitz G-STIG, was bought by Peter Holloway, a resident private owner and display pilot and moved to Old Warden. As Old Warden in Bedfordshire, UK, is the home of the Shuttlewood Collection, the former RLM Aviation aircraft wre known as the "Shuttlewaffe". On 29 November 2006, Stieglitz G-STIG was registered with Peter Robert Holloway, Southam. On 22 April 2010, registration G-STIG was cancelled as exported to the United States of America. The aircraft was registered N183FW with Training Services Inc., Virginia Beach, Virginia, on 3 May 2010. Focke-Wulf Fw.44J Stieglitz N183FW is part of the collection of the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach.

page last updated: 08-03-2013
Copyright © Jack Wolbrink, Emmen, the Netherlands
 

aeroplanes history / photo index    helicopters photo gallery   Eurocopter EC120 productionlist   Micro Light Aeroplanes    European Airfields online