The Stampe & Vertongen SV-4B is a tandem 2-seat biplane of wood and fabric construction normally fitted with cockpit canopy.
Jean Stampe and Maurice Vertongen founded their company as a flying school at Antwerp-Deurne in 1922.
The ‘Constructions Aéronautics J.Stampe & M.Vertongen’ started production of aircraft based on the design of Alfred Renard in 1923.
After Renard left the company Georges Ivanow replaced him. Georges was asked in 1932 to study a new aircraft, which resulted in the SV4.
The prototype flew first on 13 May 1933 and the aircraft entered production. On 10 May 1940. the factory
was bombed by the Luftwaffe and destroyed. The SV-4 was redesigned and produced by SNCAN in France from 1945
till 1950. In 1947, the partnership with Renard was renewed. Alfred Renard and Jean Stampe formed the company
Stampe & Renard and opened a new factory at Evere near Brussels. During 1948, they built 20 SV.4B aircraft for
the Belgian Air Force that were delivered between June 29th 1948 and December 3rd 1948 to the EVS at
Goetsenhoven. This first batch was followed by 45 SV.4C airplanes built 1951 and 1955.
Stampe & Renard in Evere built the Stampe & Vertongen SV-4B s/n 1172 in 1948.
The aircraft was delivered to the Belgian Air Force EVS as V30. On 23 March 1971, the airframe was sold
at a public auction and the aircraft was registered OO-MON in the Belgian register on 8 June 1973. The
biplane was one of the visitors of the International Old Timer Fly-in 2004 at Schaffen-Diest in Belgium.