Waco Aircraft Co. was founded in 1920 as Weaver Aircraft Co. By 1930, the company was a leader
in the design of wood and fabric aircraft. Waco built open cockpit biplanes to private owners.
The UPF-7 was built in greater quantity than any single Waco model that preceded it. As the
PT-14 it was ordered by the U.S.Army for use as a trainer. Approximately
600 came out of the Troy, Ohio factory between 1937 and 1942. The UPF-7
was a continuation of the Waco "F" series which had been introduced with
Model INF of 1930. The letter "U" identified the engine as the 220hp
Continental VW-670-6A, the "P" identified the wing and fuselage design.
The "F" reflected the principal design characteristics of the airplane.