The Mil Mi-8V is a 28-seat multi-role transport helicopter powered by two Izotov turboshaft engines.
The Mil Mi-8 (NATO reporting name 'Hip') was evolved from the piston-engined Mil Mi-4. On 24 June 1961, the prototype
flew first, powered by a single 2700 shp Soloviev AI-24V turboshaft mounted above the cabin.
The 4-blade rotor system was generally similar to that of the Mil Mi-4. The second machine, with the single
Soloviev supplanted by a pair of two 1400 shp Isotov TV2-117 turbines, flew first on 17 September 1962.
In 1963, the 5-blade rotor that became standard for the production machines replaced the 4-blade rotor.
The Mil Mi-8 has a basic crew of two with provision for a third crewmember, a cabin for 28 passengers or, in
the ambulance role 12 casualty stretchers and two medical attendants. The Mi-8 was exported to over 50 countries.
In 1981, the Mi-8 was replaced in production by the re-engined Mi-17 that was flown first as Mi-8MT in 1980.
Over 12000 Mi-8s and Mi-17s were built.
On 24 May 1971, the arrival of the first prototype of the Mil Mi-12 at Groningen Airport Eelde in the Netherlands was a sensation. This
helicopter is the largest helicopter of the world. Mil Mi-8V CCCP-11097 escorted Mil V-12 CCCP-21142. Both helicopters were on their way
to the Paris Air Show (Salon International de l'Aéronautique et de l'Espace) at Paris-Le Bourget in France and came to Eelde for re-fueling.
Due to the cold war, the Soviet participants of the Paris Air Show flew over Scandinavia; Holland and Belgium on route to Paris. On the
return flight, afterwards the Paris Salon, they stopped again at Groningen Airport Eelde in the Netherlands.
The serialnumber of Mil Mi-8V CCCP-11097 is not known, a number of sites gives serialnumber 88823, but this serialnumber is not
confirmed at reliable sites like Rotorspot and (Scramble) Soviet Transport Database.