The Piper L-4J Cub is a two-seat single engine high wing light aircraft
used by the military as an air observation post. Piper Aircraft Corporation
built 14,125 civil Cubs between 1938 and 1947, and 5,673 for the military
between 1942 and 1945. Their military nickname was "Grasshopper".
Piper J3-C-65/L-4J-PI Cub HB-OER flew first in 1944 as AF# 44-80299. During WWII, the
44-80299 entered service with the United States Army Air Force. After being withdrawn from military service, the
Cub was sold on the civil market. On 12 March 1946, the aircraft was registered HB-OER in Switzerland as a Piper J3-C-65/L-4.
However the HB-OER is registered in Switzerland, the aircraft is often seen in Portugal.
On 12 September 2010,
during Aeronostalgia 2010, Piper J3-C-65/L-4 Cub HB-OER was seen in 'USAAF 4480299 / C 65' colors at Base Aérea nº1 Sintra in Portugal.