The Stinson L-5 Sentinel is a three-seat single engine high wing light
aircraft used by the military as air observation post, aerial ambulance,
and in other roles. The Sinson L-5 Sentinel, also known as the "Flying Jeep", was basicaly the military
version of the Stinson 105 Voyager. Development of the Stinson 105 Voyager started in the late 1930's.
Stinson Aircraft designed the Model 105 (also designated HW-75) and the type certificate was
issued on 20 May 1939. A total of 277 airframes of the (1939) Model 105
(HW-75) with a 75 hp Continental A-75-3 engine and 260 airframes of the
(1940) Model 105 (HW-80) powered by a 80 hp Continental A-80-6 engine
were built. The next development of the 105 was the Model 10 Voyager,
with wider cabin, many detail changes and a 80 hp Continental A-80
engine. In 1941, six airframes of this Model 10 equipped with a 80
hp Lycoming O-170-1 four-cylinder engine were tested by the
U.S. Army under the designation YO-54. Testing was successful as the
U.S. Army signed a contract for 1,731 airframes, first designated the
Stinson O-62. The O-62 was equipped with a 185 hp Lycoming O-435-1 six-cylinder engine.
In April 1942, the designation "O" for Observation was changed to "L" for Liaison and the Stinson
O-62 became the Stinson L-5 Sentinel. Stinson delivered more than 3,590 of the L-5 Sentinel between 1942 and
1945 under a variety of designations: the L-5A was a modified
L-5 with an improved electrical system; the L-5B had a deeper fuselage
to carry a stretcher; the L-5C was equipped with a reconnaissance
camera; the L-5E had improved control surfaces; and the L-5G had a more
powerful engine. The early models of the L-5 can be recognized by the slender aft fuselage section and rear window.
About 1800 airframes of this model were built. The L-5B and up models feature a deeper rear fuselage.
These models were built from 1943-1945. The Stinson L-5 variants served during World War II not only with
the U.S.Army Air Corps but also with the U.S. Navy (as OY-1 and OY-2) and the British Royal Air Force.
The production of the Stinson L-5 was closed down after the war end in 1945.
In the late 1930's, when development of the Model 105 started, Stinson Aircraft was actual
the Stinson Aircraft Division of the Aviation Manufacturing Corporation. In 1940,
the Aviation Manufacturing Corporation sold the Stinson Aircraft Division to Vultee Aircraft Inc..
On 17 March 1943, Vultee Aircraft Inc. merged with Consolidated Aircraft Corporation:
the new company name was Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation.