The Piper L-4H Cub is a two-seat single engine high wing light aircraft
used by the military as an air observation post. Piper Aircraft Corporation
built 14,125 civil Cubs between 1938 and 1947, and 5,673 for the military
between 1942 and 1945. Their military nickname was "Grasshopper".
Piper L4-H Cub D-EGMG flew first on
25 May 1944 as AF# 44-79709. The 44-79709 operated during WWII in Europe
and was active in the Netherlands (Margraten). On 5 June 1946, the Cub entered the
civil register as OO-VVV. It was written off after a crash on 19 April 1956.
With parts of the also crashed Cub OO-VIL (s/n 11024) the aircraft was rebuilt.
It entered once again the Belgium register in 1976 as OO-VIL. After being sold
to the UK as G-CVIL the aircraft was bought by van Egmond cs as a restoration
project. The documents of the Cub with s/n 12005 are detailed: in Boston was
the original color scheme of this Cub available. This is the colour scheme in
which the Cub was repainted during the restoration with ATN. In 2001 the restoration
was finished and the aircraft was as new. In 2005, registration D-EGMG was cancelled and on 18 October 2005, the aircraft
was registered N29EG in the USA as a Piper J3C-65 with Egmond Aircraft LLC. On 3 July 2021, Piper J3C-65 Cub N29EG was
seen at Hoogeveen airfield in its original WWII 44-79709 colors.