The BAe Hawk T.1A is a two-seat basic and advanced jet trainer. In 1968, Hawker Siddeley Aviation started with
studies for a subsonic trainer capable of carrying armaments designated the HS.1182. The studies led in 1972 to
orders for 176 airframes for the Royal Air Force. In 1973, the aircraft was renamed Hawk. The prototype HSA Hawk T.1
flew on 21 August 1974, and the first two operational aircraft were handed over in November 1976. The Hawk T.1
entered RAF service in the advanced training and weapons training role. In 1977, Hawker Siddeley and the British
Aircraft Corporation merged into British Aerospace. In 1979, the Red Arrows aerobatic team adopted the BAe Hawk T.1.
From 1983 to 1986, 88 BAe Hawks T.1s were modified to carry two AIM-9L Sidewinder air-to-air missiles in addition
to the centreline gun pod for a single 30mm ADEN cannon. These aircraft were designated BAe Hawk T.1A.
On 20 October 1943, during WWII seven members of the RAF 100sqdn. were killed when their Avro Lancaster was shot
down over Eelderwolde in the Netherlands. On 4 May 1995, a delegation of the 100 squadron came in at Groningen
Airport Eelde with the Hawks XX193/CB, XX248/CJ & XX352/CP from RAF Finningly to be present at the memorial
service for the victims of WWII in Eelde. The photographed Hawk T.1A XX248 was delivered to the Royal Air Force
as a BAe Hawk T.1 on 18 December 1978.