The Piper L-21B Super Cub is a two-seat high-wing liaison aircraft. The Piper PA-18
Super Cub flew for the first time in 1949, and the FAA Type certification was
awarded on 18 November 1949. The first production Super Cubs were delivered in 1949. Over
10.000 Super Cubs were built, including about 8,500 civilian Super Cubs and more than 1,800
delivered to the U.S. and several foreign military services as L-18Cs and L-21s for liaison;
training; transport and target tugs work. Most of the Super Cubs were built until 1981 when
production originally ceased. Super Cub production resumed by WTA between 1982 and 1988, totalled
250. Between 1988 and 1994, Piper Aircraft built another 102.
On 29 August 1975, the 1955-built Piper L-21B-PI Super Cub R-163 (ex 54-2453) was photographed at
Groningen Airport Eelde in the Netherlands when in service with the Groep Lichte Vliegtuigen.
The Royal Netherlands Air Force received 155 Piper L-18C, L-21A and L-21B Super Cubs. The aircraft
were owned by the Army but flown and technical supported by Groep Lichte Vliegtuigen, formed by
298, 299 and 300 squadron of the Koninklijke Luchtmacht (RNethAF). After retirement from the military duties several
of the Dutch military Super Cubs were transferred to the KNVvL, including Piper L-21B Super Cub R-163. On 23 February 1977, L-21B Super
Cub R-163 was registered PH-LET as a Piper PA-18-135 with the KNVvL - Koninklijke Nederlandse Vereniging voor Luchtvaart, Arnhem.
Piper PA-18-135 Super Cub PH-LET was used as glider-tug at gliding
center Terlet. On 14 September 1979, the aircraft was registered with
Vliegclub Hoogeveen, Hoogeveen. On 8 January 1981, registration PH-LET
was cancelled as exported to the UK. On 19 March 1981, the Super Cub was registered G-BIRH
with I.R.F. Hammond, Fareham, as a Piper L21B (modified). On 14 August 1996,
the G-BIRH was registered with Marchington Gliding Club Ltd., Tatenhill
Airfield. On 27 April 1998, Piper L21B (modified) G-BIRH was registered
with the Aquila Gliding Club based at Hinton in the Hedges airfield near Brackley in Northamptonshire, England.
Since, the registered owners name changed to Banbury Gliding Club Ltd., Hinton in the Hedges airfield.