Aviationweb déjà vu              Luchtvaart déjà vu

►  aeroplanes history / photo index    helicopters photo gallery   Eurocopter EC120 productionlist   Micro Light Aeroplanes   European Airfields online  

 Groningen Airport Eelde  1975-1980
EHGG / GRQ
1965-1970   1970-1975   »1975-1980«  1980-1985  1985-1990   1990-1995   1995-2000   2000-2005   2005-2010   2010-2014                                                   Nederlands
  PH-CTF Cessna 500 Citation c/n 500-0177

The Cessna 500 Citation was the successor of the Morane-Saulnier MS-760 Paris II and the HFB-320 Hansa in service with the RLS. The Rijksluchtvaartschool operated seven of these low noise aircraft. On 15 August 1974, the 1974-built Cessna 500 Citation c/n 500-0177 (ex N177CC) was registered PH-CTF in the Netherlands by the Dutch Government on behalf of the Rijksluchtvaartschool. In August 1991, the RLS became the KLM Luchtvaartschool and Citation PH-CTF was transferred too. In May 1995, the PH-CTF was sold to Uniwest Air at Lelystad Airport and in May 1997, the aircraft was sold in the USA and registered N192AB. Since, the Citation was registered N888XL, N883XL and N431LC. The CofA of the N431LC expired on 30 September 2011.

Click on any of the images for the larger version and extended historic info!
LN-KLK Convair CV-440-61 Metropolitan c/n 357

The Norwegian air charter company Nor-Fly A/S operated a number of Convair CV-440's. When needed they used Eelde airfield for refuelling on trips from and to Norway. On 2 October 1977, Convair LN-KLK was seen at the Eelde tarmac when waiting for the passengers on a charter from and to Oslo. This Convair CV-440-61 Metropolitan was delivered on 21 August 1956, as SE-BSR "Bjarne Viking" to S.A.S./A.B.A. In 1975, the Metropolitan was transferred to Nor-Fly A/S and registered LN-KLK in Norway on 3 December 1975. After being withdrawn from use with Nor-Fly A/S, the LN-KLK was transferred to Metropolitan that was set up to keep this plane active as a flying monument. Nowadays the LN-KLK belongs to the collection of the Flyhistorisk Museum at Stavanger Airport Sola.

 
G-BCTX Sikorsky S-58ET c/n 58-1103

After the discovery of the natural gas below Slochteren the oil-companies started their hunt for natural gas below the North Sea. In the early sixties World Wide Helicopters and Bristow Helicopters settled down at Eelde airfield. World Wide operated two Sikorsky S-58 helicopters and one Beech Twin Bonanza; Bristow operated two float equipped Westland WS.55 Whirlwinds 3 and one Westland WS.51 Widgeon out of Eelde airfield. Bristow helicopters maintained their helicopters in one of the RLS hangars. Sweat memories came back when their Sikorsky S-58ET G-BCTX "Lyra" was noted on 2 July 1977. Sikorsky S-58ET c/n 58-1103 was original built in 1959 as a Sikorsky H-34G Choctaw powered by a Wright R-1820-84B radial air-cooled engine. It was rebuilt as a S-58ET powered by the Pratt & Whitney Aircraft of Canada PT6T-6 Twin Pac coupled turbo shaft. After conversion, the helicopter was registered G-BCTX with Bristow Helicopters. On 26 April 1979, registration G-BCTX was cancelled as exported to South-Africa as ZS-HHZ.

 
  PH-JSC Aérospatiale SN.601 Corvette c/n 35

Jetstar Holland BV was founded in February 1977. Four Corvette executive jets were operated by Jetstar Holland BV. Operations started with the two Aérospatiale SN.601 Corvette: PH-JSB and PH-JSC. SN.601 Corvette PH-JSC was registered on 16 June 1977 and seen at Eelde on 21 July 1977. Investments trust Chritea BV, owner of travel union Christoffel Reizen, wanted to grow in aviation. They owned some aeroplanes and were active in Rotterdam Airlines and purchased Jetstar Holland and Business Air Services. After investments trust Chritea ran into financial problems, Jetstar Holland BV ceased operations. On 9 January 1981, registration PH-JSC was cancelled and the Corvette returned to France. On 22 June 1981, the aircraft was registered F-GDAZ with Aérospatiale Societe Nationale Industrielle.

 
  PH-AST Piper PA-31-350 Navajo Chieftain c/n 31-7752046

Fast-Eelde bv was founded in 1977. Their first aircraft, Piper PA-31-350 Navajo Chieftain PH-AST, ex N63722, was registered on 7 March 1977. The first commercial flight of Fast-Eelde bv was made on 14 April 1977 when the PH-AST flew to Odense. On 16 March 1981, the company was renamed Fast Airways Holland bv. Over the years the fleet increased to four Piper PA-31 Navajo's. In January 1984, Fast Airways Holland bv had to end it's activities when the well known Dutch financier Mr. Maup Caransa took back his interest in Fast Airways and sold the aircraft to Rijnmond Air Services. Without aircraft but with the contract to fly the regular service Groningen-Rotterdam on behalf of the PTT a new company: Quick Airways bv was established, that started its operations with leased aircraft.

 
  G-AVXK BAe HS.125 srs.3B c/n 25134

Shell Aircraft Ltd. was a regular visitor with their De Havilland DH-114 Heron 2D's. At the end of the sixties the propliners were replaced by the Hawker Siddeley HS.125. Over the years, Shell operated three models of the HS.125: srs.1B, srs.3B and srs.800. On 9 February 1979, HS.125 G-AVXK was seen at Eelde. The aircraft was test flown as G-5-18 and registered G-AVXK with Hawker Siddeley Ltd. on 7 November 1967. In July 1968, the business jet was registered D-CHTH in Germany. On 24 February 1972, the HS125 was restored to the UK register as G-AVXK and entered service with Shell Aircraft. On 24 January 1983, registration G-AVXK was cancelled and registered 5N-AOG in Nigeria. On 5 April 2000, the aircraft was registered N230TS as a DH.125-3A/RA with the additional serial number NA700.

 
  N231LJ Beech TC-45J Hamilton Westwind IV c/n 23835

Connie Kalitta Services Inc., based at Willow Run Airport, Michican, USA, operated in the seventies a number of turbo conversions of the Beech C-45 as cargo aircraft. Their Hamilton Westwind IV N231LJ was used on a transatlantic freight charter and arrived at Eelde on 9 June 1976. This Westwind IV N231LJ was built in 1945 for the US Navy as a Beech SNB-2C Navigator under BuNo 23835. In service with the Navy it was upgraded to the SNB-5/TC-45J standard. After being retired from the Navy it was modified by Hamilton Aircraft Co. under supplemental type certificate (STC) SA2958WE which includes turbo-engines; cargo floor; extended nose; etc.. Connie Kalitta Services' Beech TC-45J Hamilton Westwind IV N231LJ was photographed by Jack Poelstra at Eelde on 9 June 1976.

 
 

D-BAKA Fokker F27 Mark 129 Friendship c/n 10198

On 26 March 1962, Fokker F-27-129 c/n 10198 made its first flight as PH-LIP and the aircraft was registered with Philips Gloeilampenfabrieken NV on 4 April 1962. In 1975, after nearly 14 years in service, Philips Vliegdienst sold their Fokker F27 PH-LIP to WDL Flugdienst GmbH at Essen-Mülheim and the aircraft was registered D-BAKA on 28 June 1975. The F-27 visited Eelde as D-BAKA on a passenger charter with the new owner WDL on 9 June 1977. After being withdrawn from use with WDL the D-BAKA was scrapped at Essen-Mülheim in Germany. In the seventies and eighties, WDL appeared occasional on Eelde with the F-27 for the transportation of automotive parts for VW in Emden and the BAe 146 with passengers.

 
  79007'77' Douglas C-47A-15-DK c/n 12712

On 5 September 1976, Royal Swedish Air Force' Douglas C-47A 79007 arrived at Eelde in companion with Douglas C-47A 79006. Both aircraft belonged to F-13 Wing. In World War II the 79007 started its carrier as 42-92864 with the USAF. In 1945-1946, it was converted at the Canadair plant and was transferred to DNL / Norway and registered as LN-IAH with Det Norske Luftfartsselskap A/S on 1 October 1946. On 30 April 1949, it was re-registered LN-IKH. DNL was merged into SAS on 1 August 1948 and the LN-IKH became the 'Hallvard Viking' with the SAS. On 26 September 1957, the C-47A became SE-CFR with AB Linjeflyg. On 29 June 1960, the Dakota was delivered to F-8 Transport wing of the Royal Swedish Air Force. On 2 December 1982, after being withdrawn from active service in the Swedish Air Force, the 79007 '797' was handed over to the Swedish Air Force Museum (Flygvapenmuseum) located at Malmen near Linköping.

 
  R-163 Piper L-21B Super Cub  c/n 18-3853 (frame # 18-3857)

The Royal Netherlands Air Force operated over 100 Piper L-18C, L-21A and L-21B Super Cub. The aircraft were owned by the Army but flown and technical supported by the Groep Lichte Vliegtuigen, formed by the 298, 299 and 300 squadron of the Koninklijke Luchtmacht (RNethAF). Piper L-21B Super Cub R-163 (ex 54-2453) visited Eelde on 29 August 1975. After retirement from military service several of the Dutch military Super Cubs were transferred to the KNVvL, including Piper L-21B R-163. On 23 February 1977, the aircraft was registered PH-LET as a Piper PA-18-135 with the KNVvL - Koninklijke Nederlandse Vereniging voor Luchtvaart, Arnhem. Piper PA-18-135 Super Cub PH-LET was used as glider-tug at gliding center Terlet until it was sold in the UK and registered G-BIRH on 19 March 1981.

 
Aviationweb déjà vu                                             Luchtvaart déjà vu

All photos on this site are copyrighted by international copyright laws, and remain the property of the relevant photographer. Prior permission should always be sought directly from the photographer for any other means than private viewing. If no photographer is mentioned the photos on these pages are made by Jack Wolbrink.

If any image, picture, text or opinion at the linked sites is against any public or private interest, please let me know. Suggestions are welcome.

Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to insure the correctness of data. However, I disclaim any responsibility in case of any errors or omissions. I am not responsible for the content of the linked websites.

page last updated: 12-01-2012
Copyright © Jack Wolbrink, Emmen, the Netherlands

 European Airfields: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z   3000+ links to and information about aerodromes, heliports, etc. in Europa